I came in prepared with the tools I needed. Armed with the knowledge of talks, YouTube videos, articles and online advice. We have the potty seat, the potty insert, toilet seat covers, organic lollipops, potty books, a potty song (oh yes we made up our own song), and pull-ups. But that all came to a scratching halt recently because Pumpkin has been sick.
Turns out the Stomach Flu, which is going around right now, can make a person dehydrated. I knew this, so I added juices and Pedialyte to her drinking options. But once stool is hard it can be very painful when attempting to come out and toddlers learn to stop it from coming out in order to avoid the pain.
We took Pumpkin to the doctor because she was screaming with every bowel movement and wipe. It was horrible and I knew something must be wrong. Even though her stool was softening, damage had already been done and the wipes were making the situation worse. The recommendation was to take Miralax to soften the stools more and use water to clean. Giving her a bath every time we changed her diaper was going to be quite a challenge for us. But I thought I remembered a product that could help.
Water Wipes are wipes that are literally 99.9% water with the other 0.1% of grapefruit seed extract. They are recommended for newborns since it has no chemicals, but we found that using these wipes on my daughter caused her no pain. Instantly gone was the fighting and crying on the changing table. It was amazing.
The wipes do have a different feel than other wipes. They are thicker and it almost feels like you aren’t cleaning her. But so far it appears to be working. I purchased the wipes at Babies R Us but they are available in multiple locations. I read online that they are having current inventory issues, but hopefully that will be resolved soon.
It shouldn’t take long for her to heal, but the psychology of her expecting pain with a bowel movement will take awhile. No more potty training for at least three weeks. Hopefully we’ll all be in a better place at that point to take it on.
What difficulties did you have with Potty Training? How did you get past them?